Thursday, October 4, 2012

Capsule Review: "Raising the Bar"


I am one of the apparently few who have not watched a minute of TLC’s Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. After seeing last night’s South Park, I intend to do whatever I can to keep it that way.
 
Seeing resident fatboy Eric Cartman join the Rascal Scooter brigade made for some big laughs, as well as biting satire on the cultural acceptance of obesity in this country. But the most stinging barbs were directed at us, for accepting such exploitative trash as Honey Boo Boo as entertainment.
 
Through all the years of the show’s shocking gross-out humor that would never fly on live-action television, I always just laughed it off as typical South Park. But this episode marks a milestone: this was the first time the series elicited a real emotion from me, specifically despair.
 
Even in its (I hope) exaggerated cartoon form, the Honey Boo Boo content was horrific.  Despite all the laughs (and Cartman gets a lot of them), the episode still left me with a deep sense of sadness at the state of America (though seeing the First Lady pound the crap out of Cartman made me feel a little better; after all the awful things he’s done, it’s always nice to see Cartman get his).

A clever subplot involved Avatar director James Cameron, who has made a hobby out of exploring the ocean floor, traveling to the depths of the sea searching for “the bar.” By bringing it back up to the surface (“raising the bar,” get it?), he hopes that America’s standards will return to an acceptable level.

If only it were that easy…
 
**I'll be back every week with reviews of each new South Park episode. Stay tuned!**

No comments:

Post a Comment